Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Only a few short minutes a day

I am an internet junkie. I spend countless hours everyday, looking, reading and searching. I'm not sure if it is just the quick fix for information, or that it is just brain candy. All I know is that I am hooked. I read countless articles on breeding birds, what you should do and what you shouldn't do. Right now, not that I have put a great deal of time and resources into this new venture, but I am anxious for some kinda results, a.k.a. eggs.

From all my research I have come up with a few almost but not quite definite things I have to do to have successful breeders.

1) Find a bonded pair that like each other: - I have 2 pair of green cheeked conures. They both seem to like their intended mate, with the older pair having successful clutches. So item one : Check!

2) Proper space: Each pair has a big enough cage that they can flit around in, undisturbed, and curtained in, with most importantly a nest box with pine wood shavings, and pine blocks of wood to chew to give them a place sleep and breed in a safe environment. So item two: Check!

3) Proper lighting: I have two 40 watt full spectrum lighting, for 14 hours. So item three: Check!

4) Well balanced diet: The two pairs each receive pellets, a nut mixture that includes raisins, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, coconut, corn, various other nuts and legumes, and of course fresh food and water replaced daily. So item four: Check!

5) Entertainment: Each cage is equipped with a few toys to shred, peck and tug at, all to the tunes of the 70's , 80's and 90's adult contemporary music. So item five: Check!

6) A very quick pit stop: Trying to limit my time of disturbing the breeders, I whistle when I come into the room so they know that I am coming. I change the water, add the food, add the fresh produce that have been sprinkled with the Nekton E powder that is supposed to stimulate breeding, and in no time flat I am in and out of the room, unless of course I have to get the cages cleaned, and that takes about another 5 minutes. So item 6, only a few short minutes a day. Check!

So it seems that I am doing everything right, but the trick is to figure out what I am doing wrong in those few short minutes a day.

No comments: